Asked and Answered: 10 FAQs about Recreational Marijuana

As recreational marijuana sales begin in Michigan, potential pot customers have many questions about the adult-use/recreational market and the sales of legal weed. Here’s a look at some of the most frequently asked questions and answers:

1. Where Can I Buy Recreational Marijuana in Michigan?

The Marijuana Regulatory Agency (MRA) began accepting marijuana business license applications earlier this year and are slowly working to issue recreational licenses. As of Dec. 9th, there are six active recreational businesses in Michigan; three of which are in Ann Arbor. You can find additional information here.

2. How Much Weed Can I Have On Me?

A person can legally have up to 2.5 ounces of pot on them at any time and up to 10 ounces in their homes, as long as it is locked up. You can have up to 2.5 ounces in your car, but neither drivers nor passengers can use the marijuana while in the vehicle.

3. What Can I Buy?

To get things started in the new market, the state is allowing growers, processors, and provisioning centers to transfer 50% of their inventory from medical to the recreational side. The state has temporarily banned the sale of marijuana vape products until they are further tested for the presence of vitamin E acetate. However, there should be a larger supply of marijuana infused edibles in various forms such as concentrates, gummies, mints, and chocolate bars. There is also a myriad of accessories that can aid new users giving them another method of consumption. If you are interested in marijuana accessories you may want to visit a site similar to for more information.

4. How Much Will It Cost?

While prices are up to the retailers’ discretion, one can expect the total costs to be more expensive than medical marijuana. Under marijuana laws, such as the Michigan Regulation and Taxation of Marihuana Act (MRTMA), adult-use marijuana has an excise tax of 10 percent along with the state’s 6 percent sales tax.

READ  Modified COVID-19 Rules for Michigan Cannabis Businesses

Typically, marijuana flower ranges from $10-15 a gram, concentrates run from $10-$40 for a half gram, and marijuana-infused products such as mints, gummies, chocolates, and candy bars run from $15-$25.

5. Can I Smoke Marijuana in Public?

Smoking, including marijuana smoking, is prohibited in restaurants and other public buildings. You can use in your own home or in the residence of family and friends, as long as you have permission from the occupant, landlord, and property owner. However, consumption outdoors, in a public place, or in a vehicle are forbidden.

Law enforcement will be able to arrest people they suspect of driving under the influence of marijuana, and may issue a civil infraction/ticket if they suspect or observe an individual consuming in public. The state has created a social consumption license (referred to as Designated Consumption Establishments) where people can gather and use marijuana at a licensed premises, but no licenses have been issued yet.

6. Can I Smoke in a Rental Property?

When renting, the landlord or property owner can still prohibit marijuana use on their properties, including smoking and growing. However, they cannot prohibit the use of non-smokable forms or marijuana, such as concentrates or edibles.

7. Where Can I Grow Marijuana?

People can grow up to 12 cannabis plants for personal use. However, under the proposal, the plants cannot be visible from a public place “without the use of binoculars, aircraft, or other optical aids or outside of an enclosed area equipped with locks or other functioning security devices that restrict access to the area.”

8. How Will Using Marijuana Impact My Employment?

Employers can still do random drug tests, pre-employment screenings, and maintain zero-tolerance policies in the workplace for their employees. Employers can fire, refuse to hire, or discipline employees who test positive for marijuana. These policies should be outlined in the employee handbook provided by your employer.

READ  MRA Expands Eligibility Criteria of Social Equity Program

9. What is the Difference Between Medical and Recreational Marijuana in Michigan?

Since medical marijuana is for people who need to treat serious ailments and medical conditions, there are more requirements and higher maximum potency levels for marijuana products. Only individuals who chronic or debilitating conditions may be eligible to become a patient. Adult-use marijuana is limited to individuals who are 21 years of age or older.

10. How Can I Apply for an Adult-Use Marijuana License?

The MRA has provided online application materials and resources on their website.

It is important to carefully review the new laws and rules, and consult with an experienced cannabis attorney throughout the application process. This is necessary to ensure that all required documents have been completed and provided to the agency in the required manner. Your chances of license approval are greatly improved if you consult with an experienced cannabis attorney.

Brianna DiSalvio (19 Posts)

Brianna is the Cannabis Legal Group Paralegal. She began her legal career at Howard & Howard Law Firm where she assisted attorneys and paralegals with business and commercial litigation matters in an administrative assistant role. She earned a Bachelor of Arts Degree from Hope College and her Paralegal Studies certification from Oakland Community College. Brianna is responsible for client relations, assisting with various stages of state and municipal licensing, and works to ensure research and document support are carried out effectively and efficiently for our cannabis clients.

Share this Article