The Marijuana Regulatory Agency (MRA) is facilitating stakeholder workgroups to discuss and provide suggestions regarding the Social Equity Program.
What is the Social Equity Program?
Michigan’s Social Equity Program is designed to encourage participation in the marijuana industry by those in communities that have been disproportionately impacted by marijuana prohibition and enforcement. The agency originally sought input from approximately 150 stakeholders in several workgroups, including our founding attorney Barton Morris.
Currently, the communities that are eligible to participate in the program are as follows:
- Bay City
- Benton Harbor
- Big Rapids
- Eau Claire
- East Lansing
- Highland Park
- Mt. Morris
- Mt. Pleasant
- Muskegon Heights
- River Rouge
- South Haven
- St. Helen
- Twin Lake
- West Branch
View the full map of communities below >>
Information on Applying for Stakeholder Workgroups
The dates and the locations for the workgroups are listed below:
- February 5, 2020 – Detroit, MI
- February 12, 2020 – Muskegon, MI
- February 20, 2020 – Coldwater, MI
- February 25, 2020 – Mt. Pleasant, MI
Those interested in participating in the Social Equity Program workgroups must send an email by Monday, Jan. 13th, 2020 at 9 AM to MRA-SocialEquity@Michigan.gov with “WORKGROUP” in the subject line and the following information in the body of the email:
- The name of the ONE workgroup you would be interested in participating in:
- Option 1 (Detroit)
- Option 2 (Muskegon)
- Option 3 (Coldwater)
- Option 4 (Mt. Pleasant)
- Your name, mailing address, email address, and phone number
- Occupation/job title and the name of the employer/organization with which you are affiliated.
- A brief explanation – no more than 150 words – detailing your qualifications for inclusion in the stakeholder workgroup. Please do not include attachments with your email.
How will the MRA Decide on the Stakeholder Workgroups?
The MRA will consider all email requests that meet these requirements, and any additional relevant information in selecting participants for this workgroup. Requests and inquiries made via telephone or to other MRA contacts will not be accepted. The MRA will give preference in the selection of participants to individuals who have not previously participated in an MRA workgroup.
Selections for the workgroups will be announced by Monday, Jan. 20th, 2020. If you are chosen for a workgroup, you will be notified directly by the MRA and will receive follow-up information, including the address where the workgroup will be held.
The purpose of this workgroup is to gather information and input only. For questions about this, please email the MRA at MRA-SocialEquity@Michigan.gov.