Whether for medical or adult-use, the demand for legal cannabis is rapidly increasing. In Michigan, those who want to become a part of the cannabusiness industry need to gain both state and municipal licenses.
With so many entrepreneurs seeking a municipal license, it’s important to submit a competitive and impressive application in order to stand out. This is especially true at the muncipal level, where the application requirements may differ for each municipality.
What can I do to improve my chances of getting an municipal license?
Many municipalities are requiring environmental responsibility statements as a part of their application. These environmental responsibility statements need to detail the applicant’s plans to operate in an environmentally conscious manner. Municipalities want to see that the facility plans, proposed operations, and the procedures addressed in applications comply with city ordinances, rules, and regulations on environment. These regulations are guided by the:
- Michigan Department of Environmental Quality
- Michigan Medical Marihuana Act
- Clean and Renewable Energy and Energy Waste Reduction Act, among other local laws and administrative rules.
Additionally, municipalities may reserve hesitations about allowing cannabis facilities in their city or township. However, applicants who show strategies that reduce their carbon impact and operate sustainable facilities are chosen more frequently than applicants whose plans do not detail environmental responsibility.
What steps do I need to take to create an environmentally friendly facility?
There are a few things to keep in mind when developing your facility:
- Am I using materials that are renewable and recyclable?
- Are the supplies and materials I’m using durable and have longevity?
- How do the materials and supplies I’m using contribute to the waste stream?
- Am I implementing recycling and waste management procedures that adhere to city and state guidelines?
- How can I implement training programs for employees to ensure proper waste management, recycling of materials when appropriate, and reduction of paper products and plastic material?
By developing an environmentally conscious facility, municipalities will start to notice the originality and value of your company. Additionally, it’ll show that you’re committed to the betterment of the community. Similarly, you’ll be able to show that you’re strategic in your operation plans.
Since energy makes up a large portion of cannabusiness costs, efforts to reduce energy consumption hold a significant impact on overall profits. Subsequently, all of this gives your application a competitive edge and helps you gain a municipal license.