Responding to a Notice of Deficiency for Cannabis Licenses

The Marijuana Regulatory Agency (MRA) regulates licensing for both Adult-Use Marijuana Establishments and Medical Marijuana Facilities.

When applying for a marijuana license, applicants are required to use forms and disclosures created by the agency and respond to each question in its entirety under oath. All attestations, application disclosures, information requested/required by the agency, the acts, and rules must be submitted in the application.

Emergency Rules for Both Medical and Adult-Use Marijuana Facilities

Michigan’s Adult-Use Marijuana Establishments are regulated in accordance with the Michigan Regulation and Taxation of Marihuana Act (MRTMA). Emergency rules have been filed and will remain in effect until July 3rd, 2020.

Medical Marijuana Facilities and licenses, including growers, processors, transporters, provisioning centers and safety compliance facilities, are regulated in accordance with the Medical Marijuana Facilities Licensing Act (MMFLA, 2016).

You can review these laws and rules here:

READ  Michigan's Temporary Marijuana Vape Ban

How to Correct Application Deficiencies

After an application is submitted to the MRA, there will be an intake and review process to determine approval status. During the review, if the agency identifies a deficiency in an application, the applicant will be notified and additional information and/or documentation will be requested.

Responses will need to be submitted in a timely manner with the missing information and corrections. New rules will become effective this year, requiring deficiencies be corrected to the agency within 5 days of the date the applicant received the deficiency notice.

The failure of an applicant to correct a deficiency completely or timely may result in the denial of the application. However, an applicant denied under this sub-rule can still reapply by submitting a new application and required application fees.

Contact a Cannabis Attorney

Before submitting the application or deficiency response, it is important to consult an experienced cannabis attorney and the Application Instruction Booklet for either a Medical Marihuana Facility or an Adult-Use Establishment license. This is necessary to ensure that all requested documents have been completed and provided to the agency in the required manner.

Brianna DiSalvio (15 Posts)

Brianna is the Cannabis Legal Group Paralegal. She began her legal career at Howard & Howard Law Firm where she assisted attorneys and paralegals with business and commercial litigation matters in an administrative assistant role. She earned a Bachelor of Arts Degree from Hope College and her Paralegal Studies certification from Oakland Community College. Brianna is responsible for client relations, assisting with various stages of state and municipal licensing, and works to ensure research and document support are carried out effectively and efficiently for our cannabis clients.

Share this Article